AM I FREAKIN' INVISIBLE OR WHAT?

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Monday Mayberry Moment # -who the heck knows? I even forgot what day it was...

I was so busy yesterday -sitting in the transmission shop for hours (and I gotta go back today, can you believe it?), then volunteering at the school (it wasn't a teaching day for me), then rushing through domestic chores, and finally running off to my Women's Guild meeting (and why the HECK can't those women stay on task?!?!), that I completely forgot to post my Monday Mayberry Moment.

Here's one for you (or maybe it's only me that's shocked and disgusted by this?!?!?!?) FIFTH GRADERS carry cell phones. YES, I said 5th Graders. I'm disgusted with any parent who gives in to a 10 year old and buys them a cell phone.

Irresponsible redneck parenting method 101:

If you can't be bothered to actually be there to supervise your child, or appoint a trusted adult to do so, depend instead on a phone. Gives ya warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

I'm sorry, but I think that at 10 years old there is absolutely NO valid reason for a ten year old to have a cell phone -unless they are AT HOME and it's the only phone the family has. But to be carrying a cell phone to school?????

If you're stupid enough to allow your child to walk to school alone, the cell phone isn't going to keep them safe. Do you think the pedophile that snatches your kid is going to worry about your child placing a call? The wheels on the car go smash crush smash, smash crush smash. And anyways, if they do snatch your child, don't you think they'd toss the phone immediately?

But my kid has a lot of activities and I need to be in touch with him/her, you say?!?!?!? How about actually attending those activities instead of using activities and a cell phone as a babysitting service? But I work and I want to be able to reach my child, you say? Well, maybe if you weren't shelling out the bucks for overly ostentatious gifts and electronics, you could spend more time AT HOME with the kid? And next, did you ever think by letting your kid wander around unsupervised with an expensive piece of electronics (and a free reign to charge up a good bill) opens them up to thieves and other unsavory folks?

So, okay, maybe I haven't hit on every issue, but I am open to hearing any valid suggestions for why a ten year old needs to carry a cell phone. I'm not sure you can convince me. But you can try. BTW, make sure you're nice or you will be deleted. LOL

|

3 Comments:

  • Nothing says "Rob me" like an expensive electronic device. It's important to have high end shoes and perhaps a game device or two.

    Love to see Darwinism at work.

    LibertyBob

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:47 PM  

  • But.....without a cell phone, how are they supposed to communicate with their friends? You can't IM without a cell ph...

    What's that? "Talking"?

    How passe'.

    By Blogger Cliff, at 4:44 PM  

  • I couldn't agree more.

    What really makes me mad is when they have nicer phones than me! I can barely afford to get a phone, and these kids are walking around with these awesome phones!

    By Blogger Matt Harmless, at 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home