AM I FREAKIN' INVISIBLE OR WHAT?

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

5 Million to 24.5 Million Years Old

Yeah, and I'm not even trying to exaggerate for once. Don't know if I've mentioned, but hubby works at a Limestone Mine, operating the heavy equipment and maintaining it. It's quite a departure from his original career of twenty years, chef. And he loves it.

Well, one of the more interesting aspects of his job is the things that he unearths in the course of an average workday. He regularly brings home fossils of various types. Some are clearer and more discernible than others, as usually is the case with fossils. Others are less obvious and even somewhat less than interesting. Nevertheless, we clean up and save these for their conversational value as much as their beauty. Up 'til now we haven't put forth much effort toward identifying each and every fossil. Matter of fact, what they are seems fairly obvious with most and we've not been interested in the specifics as far as scientific names and such. We've quite a number of pre-historic sea urchins, shells of various types, even a few that appear to have been plant life of one sort or another. Nothing terribly remarkable, though really the grandfather of all antiques, no?

Thursday night, hubby came in and yelled as he always does, "Luuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccyyyyyyyyyy, I'm home!" Actually, he didn't yell Lucy, since that's not my name. But he did yell, "Honey, I'm home," and it quite reminds me of Ricky Ricardo when he calls to me in that manner, particularly due to his sweet little accent. I was, as usual, sitting at the PC reading blog after blog and commenting wherever I felt my two cents were called for. Didn't jump right up, but as I frequently do yelled, "Hi Honey! How was your day?" and then promptly went back to my reading. So he called to me again and again I responded in the same manner. So he called to me again and I sat here thinking, "Jeez, he's getting as deaf as I am!" And, mildly annoyed I got up, poked my head 'round the corner and said, "I said Hello about three-hundred times already. Didn't you hear me?"

Well, he just smiled at me and said, "Can you come here 1 minute please?" I promptly heaved a sigh and said, "Why what do you need (I can really be such a pain in the arse at times)? I was reading something really interesting." He said, "Come over here. I want to show you something." I rolled my eyes thinking that surely the something he wanted to show me was something I'd seen hundreds of times in the past 7 years and said, "What?"

Then he handed me one of the little containers from his lunch. He told me that he'd found something different today and wanted me to look at it. He said, "Be careful though, maybe it can break." So I took it out and it was a real treasure (at least to me). A fossil the likes of which he'd never brought home before -a tooth. It was in excellent shape I thought. I immediately began looking up sites on the web where I might identify exactly what kind of tooth it was. I wasn't really able to find any good pictures with which I might draw a comparison.

I ended up e-mailing photos of it to two of my best blogging buddies, Disillusioned and Bibb (BTW, yes I do know that his name is Gary, but I just like Bibb better. The alliteration just lets the name roll of the tongue in a tide of bbbs -and Disillusioned is actually in agreement with me on this particular fact). Anyway, like always I've digressed momentarily and probably will again before this post is complete. Back to the subject at hand -or at tooth as is the case. Bibb took one look and immediately said, "Some kind of Shark tooth." That at least gave me a little more direction and then I talked to Dis and she very generously agreed to host my pics so that I'd be able to display them here for you. I've only displayed the tooth -other fossils maybe some time in the future. If you know anyone who can help me identify exactly which type of prehistoric shark produced it, please direct them here. If not, just enjoy looking at it and making various giggly comments about it. It measures around 2 inches across the top and about 3 1/2 inches long. So, here it is (multiple views shown):



Oh, and I went to the library for a couple of fossil books, but (being that I live in Mayberry) they only had one and it was pretty useless. They were able to find one at another library within the county (yeah, Hooterville -[Thanks, Scooterdeb), but after having them order that one and reading it, I learned that it was useless too. The only really good information I got out of it was that it's from the Miocene period -the majority of our fossils are from either the Miocene or Eocene periods. Oh, and uh, Mayberry Public Library would like us to loan our large fossil collection to use in their locked display -pretty cool, eh?

Okay, so now talk to me. What do you think?

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home